Monday, September 19, 2011

Family

Last week I had prepared myself for attending a family reunion.  I rested, didn't over extend myself and made sure I followed my strict diet and meds.  Saturday morning I awoke to a beautiful day and woke my Dad up to see if he had changed his mind about going.  He had and soon we were on our way.  About halfway through the 1-1/2 hour drive, we stopped and picked up my sister.

It was so nice when we got to the park (Huntsville State Park) and the reunion was being held in a beautiful rock/wood building right on the shoreline.  The building had it's on restrooms and a very large kitchen, bar and dining area.  Also the most important thing ... it was air conditioned.  If you know how hot it's been lately in Texas you will understand how important that is.

We had all decided before hand to only stay a couple of hours, eat lunch and then head home.  We ended up having such a good time that we stayed a lot longer than was prudent.  By the time we left we were all exhausted.  I did manage to drive home, but hit the bed once we got there and didn't get up much after that until this morning.

It was a great day and I discovered something about myself.  Here/online, at work and even with my close friends I do not have an issue discussing my medical conditions and what they are like.  I am very open and frank in our conversations.  For some reason it was extremely difficult for me to discuss any of illnesses at the reunion.  Some cousins new some of the basics and I guess had passed on some info to others.  So people would ask, and I just froze up.  I went in the restroom and said to myself, "what are you doing? what are you worried about? This is family, the people who care about you most."

No matter how I tried I was never comfortable Saturday discussing myself and my illnesses.  However I enjoyed catching up with everyone, playing with babies and laughing.  Even though I over did it, it was a Great Day and worth every bit.

No comments: